From the makers of the smart learning thermostat, Nest Labs has again redefined home technology with its new Nest Protect, a smoke and carbon monoxide detector that does “much more than just sound a shrill alarm when there’s danger in your home.”
The Nest Protect alerts you where the danger is and what the problem is––be it a low battery, smoke from a kitchen encounter gone awry, or an actual emergency––and lets you either wave your hand to silence a false alarm, or automatically call the authorities in a crisis event.
“With our first product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, we set out to help people reduce home energy use,” said Tony Fadell, Nest founder and chief executive officer. “Now, we’re turning our attention to something that’s also important: keeping families safe in their homes. We’ve all experienced the smoke alarm going off while we’re cooking or searched for the source of that incessant low-battery chirp in the middle of the night. Every time a smoke alarm cries wolf, we trust it a little less, and then – in a moment of frustration – we rip the batteries out to stop the beeping. And that leaves us and our families at risk.”
The product boasts features such as:
- Multi-criteria heat, carbon monoxide and smoke sensors
- Early warning, “heads up” feature that tells you when smoke or CO levels are rising but have not yet reached emergency alarm levels
- The “Nest Wave” - lets you silence nuisance alarms with a wave of your hand
- Mobile notifications using Wi-Fi
- The Nest “Nightly Promise”: shows you its sensors and batteries are working with a quick green glow after you turn off the lights so low-battery chirps don’t rattle your dreams. Best of all, it also doubles as a nightlight that helps keep you safe when walking around your home at night
- Vocal alarms: the Nest Protect uses female Voice Alarms to help wake sleeping children in case of emergency
- Interconnectivity: if you have more than one Nest Protect, they connect so you’ll hear alarms from all Nest Protects in your home, even if the danger is in only one room.
At the moment there are no comments. Be the first to leave your review!