A major benefit of CCTV is that it is always on, without interruption, and helps to deter crimes because even the mere sight of cameras will keep criminals away. The answer speed for crisis management is greatly improved because multiple areas are being monitored at the same time and from one central location. Activity at the location is stored and archived for future use. This information can be used to identify suspects and provide evidence.
Here are some CCTV best practices:
- Place cameras near entrances and exits of buildings and properties
- Install surveillance for parking lots and garages
- Mount cameras in at-risk areas such as poorly lit walking paths and locations where people might find themselves alone and defenseless
- Position cameras with high visibility in areas where money is exchanged
- Monitor common areas such as stairways, lobbies, halls, libraries, locker areas, dining areas, gyms, sports concourses, theaters, labs, swimming pools, stadiums, etc.